Monday, June 1, 2009

a possibly useful list

this list from the simple dollar shows where to get free equivalents of popular software. the most interesting ones (to me) are the programs for taxes and language learning.

i am glad to see many open source options on there! the economist also has a feature section on open source software in the latest edition. i have had ubuntu for a year or so and i like it a great deal. i also use picasa, open office, AVG, GIMP and audacity.

my dear brother bryan is in india right now converting the Microinsurance Academy to open source software, starting with open office. check out his blog here.

2 comments:

  1. Hell yeah to open source software! (The subtitle of the book sitting next to me on my table right now is "the Open Source Revolution and Biotechnology.")

    I'd add VLC and Celestia to the list.

    (FYI, not that you can necessarily do anything about it, but I think there's something wrong with your comment field. It won't let me past things, so I couldn't link.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh yeah, vlc rocks. it has succeeded in playing dvds for me when all seemed lost.

    ReplyDelete