Sunday, November 14, 2010

Shoo Jimmy Choo is the Worst Title For a Book. Ever.

Here is an interesting article about financial books targeting women. To summarize, it basically says that tons of books are written each year with inane titles (Does This Make My Assets Look Fat? and SHOO!, Jimmy Choo are really deplorable titles) teaching women about financial management, but comparable books are not written for men. However, examining the data, it's not clear that women are less good at managing money than are men. Ramit Sethi, a person-finance blogger, ran a survey and found that the major difference between the genders is actually a level of confidence related to money management.

Since I spent a lot of time right now thinking about research studies, media-framing, and causal direction, it lead me to ponder the following: are women less confident about money because this market exists and the media frames issues in such a way that women are convinced that they are less good with money, or does an innate lack of confidence lead to the market?  Man, chicken and egg problem. I'll be honest, I actually suspect it's the former, at this point, but I have absolutely no empirical evidence to back that up. I do wish that women were more confident with money, but, perhaps more importantly, I wish Does This Make My Assets Look Fat were not the 30th most popular book in the Women and Money Management category on Amazon. Preposterous.

No comments:

Post a Comment